Friday, February 4, 2011

Songs in A minor - Great Talent, Hit or Miss Production


2/4/11 – Songs in A minor (Alicia Keys)

I always want to stay focused on who I am, even as I`m discovering who I am.
– Alicia Keys

            “Fallin’” is one of those singles from the brief era that I flirted with mainstream radio.  The repetitive nature of the format of most stations, however, made it a short-lived.  Besides, there were good jazz and Christian stations that I was more apt to listen to anyway.  Still, this single sticks out as one that I would always listen through if it came on before either changing the channel, getting out of the car, or whatever.
            “Piano & I” isn’t as much as a song per se as an introduction to the album.  The hip beat behind Beethoven’s “Moonlight” Sonata reflects Ms. Keys’ approach and background; classically trained but with a bent toward a more “urban edge” sound.  “Girlfriend” pushes more toward the latter, but the canned electronic beats often sound so inhuman and mechanical that it gets in the way of an honest delivery.  I would have liked to hear more piano work.  “How Come You Don’t Call Me” delivers a lot more, although I’d like to hear Prince’s original version of the tune.  Here, Alicia shines more as a vocalist.  Her tone has been compared to Billie Holiday’s, but her range and technical abilities are much more impressive – more in the vein of Christina Agulera’s vocal gymnastics.
            “Fallin’” again is the piece that drew me to both this singer and this album in general.  Despite the simplicity of it’s two chord pattern, there’s great vocal harmonies, both vertically and the cannon-like bridge in the middle of the track.  Simple doesn’t always have to be bad.  Sometimes you can do it well enough it doesn’t have to be anything more.  “Troubles” finally seems to fit into a comfortable soul-infused pop feel that some of the earlier songs seem to have been looking for but not really finding, in my opinion.  Along those lines, I was looking forward to her cover of the great Michael Jackson tune that was to follow, “Rock Wit U.  Unfortunately, it’s not – just a similarly named piece.  (And not one of the better songs on the album unfortunately.  Double the let down.)
            Interesting to note – the only song in A minor in Songs in A minor is “Jane Doe.”  Aside from this anomalous fact, it’s not an especially remarkable track.  “Goodbye,” however, is a solid R&B ballad with smooth production, subtle artistic synth work, and lush vocals, both at the forefront and filling out harmonically.  “The Life” introduces some light Latin elements with some conga beats and salsa inspired piano riffs, which while completely different from the surrounding tracks, is a welcome addition and an easy fit.
            Alicia’s duet with Jimmy Cozier, “Mr. Man,” keeps some of these same Latin sounds.  At times, however, it feels that it’s more his song than hers – for example, by allowing Cozier to take the first verse completely, it throws the balance of the song off.  Regardless, the chorus is plenty catchy.  Meh.
            “Never Felt This Way (Interlude)” is the first time Alicia’s “keys” are highlighted.  This song, written by the great Brian McKnight, is listed as an interlude, but to me is one of the high points of the CD.  Simply Alicia at the piano for a couple minutes, before transitioning seamlessly and magnificently into the next track.  “Butterflyz” adds a bit of acoustic guitar, but maintains the simplicity of the preceding track.  Where has this been this whole album?  Seriously, better than the tracks that got radio airplay.  Even when the bass comes in halfway through, this is so much more smartly written and arranged.  Restraint once again is key – an adage I need to adapt to my own writing as well.
            I get the impression from this album that Alicia Keys is incredibly talented, but I think the direction of this CD could have gone better.  Those of you who may be more familiar with her works, how does this compare to Diary of Alicia Keys or any of her other recordings?  I’d be interested in listening to more, but not if everything is as overproduced as some of the earlier tracks here.  Perhaps I just need to get my hands on her MTV Unplugged performance…

Next week – The Marshall Mathers LP (Eminem)

1 comment:

  1. I love this album. This is actually my favorite of hers so far. Her vocals bring complexity and soul to that 2-chord "Fallin." Love it!

    ReplyDelete